As a victim of a crime, you may be entitled to some form of compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme or by court order.

To be eligible for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, you must have:
1. Been the victim of a violent crime and
2. Suffered a personal injury directly as a result of this crime

If these two conditions apply to you, it is possible that you may be able to claim compensation under this scheme.

This scheme can also provide compensation for any dependants of a victim where a victim died as a result of a crime. Dependants include children, spouses, parents or anyone who relied on the victim for maintenance or money.

Other ways you can be compensated

Court Order:

  • This is when a judge has decided that the accused must compensate you for any injuries or loss you suffered as a result of the crime.
  • Depending on the crime, the accused could be ordered to compensate you as a condition of their sentence.


You can also bring a civil claim for compensation in the civil courts.

I was a victim of crime Victim's rights Criminal court proceedings Who is who

Support services Useful contacts Glossary

Top Map Exit